The Gift of Adoption


Nearly twenty-one years ago I was unmarried, pregnant and did not know what to do. My boyfriend’s only solution was abortion, but deep in my heart I could never choose that. Yet, I did not know where I could go or what I could do. How could I provide for a baby? I didn’t know it then, but God had a plan. It was a plan to give us hope and a future, but it was something I could not see or even hope for at the time.


Late one night, I called a crisis pregnancy center. I found a compassionate Godly woman on the phone, who cared about me and what I was going through. She shared the gospel with me and encouraged me. She prayed with me and asked if we could meet. She stepped out in faith, obedient to God’s calling and forever made a difference in my life. God began to work in my heart. He surrounded me with love and support-giving me mentors, friends, and a church home. I soon came to realize that I was not alone on my journey, but was being guided by a sovereign God.

Around five months I began to consider adoption. I was introduced to families within the church who had adopted and those who wanted to adopt. Through many meetings I became more certain it was the right decision for me. In my seventh month, I entered a maternity home and spent the final six weeks of my pregnancy with other unwed expectant mothers.

My final decision for adoption was made at the hospital. God spoke to me through reading Romans 8. Releasing my baby required me to make a huge sacrifice. I would have to go against my flesh and trust God to provide for both my child and me. I prayed and read God’s word. Next, I would have to take a leap of faith - to trust him with my daughter. It was not an easy decision, nor was it made lightly. Not everyone who knew me supported my decision, but I knew it was the right one. God gave me a perfect peace that surpassed all understanding that sustained me for nearly twenty-one years.

In the summer of 2009, I began praying to find my daughter. I spent months searching, making phone calls, and tracking leads. The adoption agency and maternity home had closed years ago and no one knew where their records were. God answered my prayers and I was put in touch with someone who could help me. In less than six weeks I had a response from the adoptive family and they requested pictures of my family. On 19 December 2009, my daughter and I were reunited! God is so good and faithful. His timing is perfect and his plans far exceeded what I ever imagined.

My daughter, Katie, is a nursing student. She gave her life to the Lord at age nineteen and has been working for him since. When asked to describe our reunion, all I can say is God is good. Peace reigned the entire time. As for her, she said she feels more loved than ever before.

I trusted God enough to surrender my child in accordance to His will. His peace sustained me over 20 years. He used my circumstances to teach me about trust. He used time for me to see his faithfulness in fulfilling his promises. He used my unplanned pregnancy to change my life and help me see that his ways are not my way; his plans are not my plans. He is the sovereign God who has the best in mind for me and Katie. Thank you, God, for letting me see your goodness in my life. Thank you for giving me and my daughter a hope and a future.
~by Caryn Funderburk
(BWC Volunteer)
0 Responses